2c about the development of ubuntu

Matt Zimmerman mdz at ubuntu.com
Tue Jan 3 02:26:36 GMT 2006

On Tue, Jan 03, 2006 at 02:53:35AM +0100, Udo 'Robos' wrote:
> Well, the sheer number of problem I encounter and the diversity make me
> think that that the resources are getting thin. I already posted bugs to
> malone and looked up other problems as already being listed. But despite a
> huge goal being "ubuntu on the laptop" I still see those old problems.
> For instance, is swsusp2 getting into ubuntu? That would need much love and
> work but that would bring a real benefit to the users since then a laptop
> really become more usuable. The speed difference between the old software
> suspend and the new one is huge! And acpi needs looots of work for more
> machines to be able to suspend to ram.

Ubuntu 5.10 works very well on a wide variety of laptops, including
suspending to RAM.  See https://wiki.ubuntu.com/LaptopTestingTeam for
details  swsusp2 is a very invasive patch which conflicts with more
important changes in our kernel (such as the updated ACPI subsystem).  This
cost is not justified by a performance benefit.  If it is adopted upstream,
we can use it, but currently it does not seem like a good choice.

If Ubuntu doesn't support your laptop properly, don't declare that Ubuntu
doesn't work on laptops; instead help to track down the cause of the
problem.  This is what the Breezy laptop mission was about.

> As a side note, is a machine with an nvidia card supposed to be able to
> suspend/hibernate?

I think the open source driver works correctly, but the one supplied by
nVidia does not.  I don't have an nVidia-based laptop though.

--
 - mdz