2c about the development of ubuntu

Ben Collins ben.collins at ubuntu.com
Mon Jan 2 01:19:45 GMT 2006

On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 14:49 -0800, Mike Bird wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-01-01 at 14:28, Christian Bjälevik wrote:
> > What the "new distribution" gives is yet another InstallCD
> > with more server-tools than gnome-thingies shipped on the CD. Ubuntu
> > 6.04 is our first "Enterprise Release", but we won't do what Redhat and
> > Fedora does and make it another distro. It will still be Ubuntu, just
> > with longer support :-). Here is aswell a reason to have the "new
> > distro". 6.04 will have 2 year longer support on the server than on the
> > desktops.
>
> If someone does "apt-get install ubuntu-desktop" in an Ubuntu
> server installation, does it work and is it supported for an
> extra two years?  If not, where is the list of packages that
> qualify for the extra two years of support?

The stuff that comes on the Ubuntu-Server CD/DVD is what is supported, I
would guess.

Ubuntu-Server will, for the most part, be a subset of standard Ubuntu.
The major difference is that the kernel is compiled for server
performance (rather than desktop interactive performance). I suspect
that as it matures, there will be packages for Ubuntu-Server to support
certain hardware configurations.

--
   Ben Collins <ben.collins at ubuntu.com>
   Developer