Gnome Screensaver issues?

Dan Holmsand holmsand at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 15:42:06 GMT 2006

Oliver Grawert wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 28.02.2006, 15:26 +0100 schrieb Dan Holmsand:
>> I've never had any problems with video players and xscreensaver, but
>> plenty with gnome-screensaver. And the latter doesn't even try (as far
>> as I can tell) to be backward compatible with xscreensaver.
> with which video players ? please file bugs, else it wont get solved.

xine and vlc. I'm afraid I can't give any detailed bugreports, as I've
now solved all my problems with "apt-get remove gnome-screensaver
gnome-power-manager".

IMO the root problem is the conscious lack of backward compatibility in
gnome-screensaver. Or rather the inclusion of gnome-screensaver in Ubuntu.

>>>       * gnome-screensaver is the first attempt to integrate the
>>>         screensaver more directly into the desktop.
>> That's exactly how I feel. It's an interresting attempt. However, I
>> don't think that this attempt should merit default installation status
>> in Ubuntu just because it's called gnome-something.
> its in consideration for default inclusion upstream, we dont include
> stuff because its named gnome-something

But Ubuntu isn't bound by Gnome's decisions, is it? The (excellent)
decision to de-spatialize Nautilus by default seems to indicate otherwise.

/dan