post-install media formats wizard

Joao Inacio jcinacio at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 12:38:04 GMT 2006

On 2/22/06, Chris Wagner <chris.t.wagner.1 at ohiou.edu> wrote:

> So,
>  Worst Situation: We have a dialog, that pops up when a user attempts to
> play a piece of media of a restricted format, that explains to the user
> WHY she cannot play her file out-of-the-box and HOW she can find out
> more information about this problem.
>  Best Situation: When the user first attempts to play a given restricted
> format, she is greeted with a dialog that allows her to install a codec
> for the given format; after that, she doesn't have to worry about this
> nuisance again.

Exactly!
I can't see how this could be any simpler.

if it's difficult (for whatever legal reasons) for ubuntu to play
these formats out-of-the-box, ANYTHING is better than a simple error
message saying that file is "unplayable".

also, it should be simple for a user to see why ubuntu doesn't play
the file, and it should be simple for users to perform whatever
operations are needed to install support for that type of media, if
they are legally "clear" for it.

--
João Inácio
jcinacio at gmail.com