post-install media formats wizard

Murray Cumming murrayc at murrayc.com
Wed Feb 22 17:10:30 GMT 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-23 at 02:14 +1100, Jamie Jones wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-02-22 at 16:29 +0100, Murray Cumming wrote:

> > > that doesn't make any sense.  first of all, they *don't* have to pay
> > > for that unless they live in the usa.
> >
> > No mainstream distro is going to give you something that's illegal in
> > the U.S. just because you say that you are not in the U.S. It's a nasty
> > world and we have to live in it.
>
> Now once again, explain to me *why* you seem to think laws that apply to
> the U.S.A should apply to the rest of the world ?

1. They don't really apply, but they exert force on companies that do
business worldwide. No company can distribute free software widely while
simultaneously claiming not to allow people in the U.S. to receive that
software. So they get prosecuted or sued in the U.S. if they do that
successfully. That's a concern of businesses even if it isn't your
personal concern, though it would quickly become your concern if you
distributed the stuff widely.

2. If you don't like it, you can use a different distro, so nobody is
forcing you.

>  Mmm, perhaps we should
> force our laws on you ?

I don't live in the U.S.