nvidia-agp won't load, unresolved symbols

Ben Collins bcollins at ubuntu.com
Sun Feb 12 21:52:35 GMT 2006

On Sat, 2006-02-11 at 20:56 +0100, Simon Edwards wrote:
> On Saturday 11 February 2006 20:28, chantra wrote:
> > I guess this is because nvidia-agp needs agpgart. nvidia-agp, intel-agp,
> > ati-agp,via-agp .... and any other needs agpgart.
> >
> > here is my lsmod on my latop: intel graph card:
> > $lsmod | grep agp
> > intel_agp              23164  1
> > agpgart                34792  3 drm,intel_agp
> >
> > on my desktop comp, using nvdia video card and via chipset:
> >
> > $lsmod | grep agp
> > via_agp                 9728  1
> > agpgart                34888  2 via_agp,nvidia
>
> The problem is more that it is *not* possible to use nvidia-agp at all. When
> using the nVidia closed source driver you can use the standard linux kernel
> agp or the agp module from nVidia (nvidia-agp). nvidia-agp generally works
> better and faster with the nVidia Xorg driver.

You're missing the point. The agpgart driver is the highlevel kernel
interface for low level agp drivers like nvidia-agp. It's the same as
uhci_hcd (USB host controller driver) needing usbcore. You can use any
USB host controller driver you want, but all of them need usbcore to
interact with the rest of the kernel.

nvidia-agp module. Quite the opposite, it means you are doing exactly
what you want.

--
Ben Collins
Kernel Developer - Ubuntu Linux