Outmoding CDs (LiveCD)

John Richard Moser nigelenki at comcast.net
Tue Feb 21 00:36:10 GMT 2006

Tollef Fog Heen wrote:
> * John Richard Moser
>
> | The basic installation would be as follows:
> |
> |  - Warn user that the selected USB drive will be -erased-
> |  - Allot one partition the size of the SquashFS image
>
> Not needed, the squashfs can be on a VFAT partition.
>
> |  - Allot 50-100 MB for /boot
>
> Not needed.

/boot is going to be changing a lot, and it's not going to be on the
real / device (it'll be on a unionfs overlay), it needs to be somewhere.

> |  - Allow the user to adjust the remainder between shared and the overlay
>
> I don't know what you mean by «shared» here?

the layout of the disk will basically be:

[VFAT (windows sees this)][SQUASHFS (live root)][overlay (changes)]

> |  - Partition the drive accordingly
>
> Not needed.
>
> |  - Format file systems
>
> aka «make a file, named casper-rw on the vfat volume, make it a decent
> size, run mkfs on it»
>
> |  - Copy the SquashFS image onto the drive
>
> needed.
>
> |  - Create an initrd
>
> The standard casper initrd can be used.

The standard casper initrd uses tmpfs to back the squashfs / with
changes.  Our changes are going to be persistent.  When I install
things, and reboot, they stay installed.

> |  - Install kernels to /boot
>
> The standard kernel from the live cd can be used.

And when you apt-get upgrade and a new kernel is out?

> |  - Install grub or syslinux to the USB drive
>
> Needed.
>
> A tool to automate this procedure would be really nice, but I guess it
> won't be ready until dapper+1.

- --

    new problems waiting out there.
                                                 -- Eric Steven Raymond

    We will enslave their women, eat their children and rape their
    cattle!
                                     -- Evil alien overlord from Blasto