Dapper Drake LiveCD usage report

Ricardo Pérez López ricpelo at ono.com
Thu Feb 16 09:12:05 GMT 2006

Hi! Yesterday I tried the Dapper Drake LiveCD build 20060214, and I
would like to report here the problems I found:

Before all, I selected "Español" language in gfxboot, because I'm
Spanish :)

1. During startup, the message "Loading vmlinuz........" appears on top
of the screen.

2. The boot freezes too much time in the "Starting Enterprise Volume
Management System..." message. Therefore, usplash goes to text mode.

3. The locale selected isn't the best locale (at least for me). It
generates "es_AR.UTF-8", but my locale is "es_ES.UTF-8" (AR = Argentine,
ES = Spain).

4. The keyboard layout is not correct. It's not correct in console mode,
and it's not correct in X, too. My Spanish keyboard doesn't works.
During startup, I can see the following messages:

Generating locales...
  es_AR.UTF-8... done
Generation complete.
xserver-xorg config warning: failed to infer keyboard layout from
layout/lang
'10 debian-installer/keymap doesn't exist--es_AR'

5. The screen resolution in X is not correct. It appears in 640x480, 24
bit color. In "System -> Preferences -> Screen resolution" I can't
change the resolution to another one (only appears "640x480", 60 Hz). I
have a MSI K7N2G-ILSR motherboard (3 years, more or less), with nVidia
nForce2 chipset. I use the internal graphics card. The lspci -n shows:

0000:03:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV18
[GeForce4 MX - nForce GPU] (rev a3)

The /etc/X11/xorg.conf seems to be correct. I can see the following:

SubSection "Display"
  Depth	 24
  Modes	 "1280x1024" "1024x768" "832x624" "800x600" "720x400" "640x480"
EndSubSection

The "Modes" lines, therefore, seems to be ok. Nevertheless, it uses the
"nv" driver, instead of "nvidia" (the proprietary one, which is the
driver I use in my Breezy box).

The X server in Breezy works perfectly. I can use resolutions up to
1280x1024, with 16 millions of colors.

6. During startup, I can see the following message:

md5sum: /etc/X11/xorg.conf: No such file or directory

I don't know if this is a problem or not.

7. The desktop shows in an English-Spanish mix. The localization is far
from perfect. Firefox and OpenOffice.org appears in English, for
instance.

8. The "Logout" button doesn't nothing. It renders the desktop freezed.

9. I can eject the CD with Nautilus simply doing right-click over the CD
icon and selecting "Eject". I don't know if this is intentional or can
be a source of problems.

I hope this can help, and sorry about my horrible English :)

Thanks,

Ricardo.