Synaptic without broadband Internet

Sandis Neilands sandisn at gmail.com
Mon Feb 13 22:26:15 GMT 2006

Hello!

On 2/13/06, Wouter Stomp <wouterstomp at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 2/13/06, Jan Claeys <lists at janc.be> wrote:
> Not very useful if he is running windows at work, which is more likely
> than linux. It would be nice to have a server based solution for this:
> You select the program you want, select which distribution tou have
> (ubuntu, kubuntu, version etc.) and it gives you a list of files or
> preferably one file containing all files to download which can then
> later be easily installed on ubuntu. This will sometimes lead to some
> extra downloading of packages that you might already have installed,
> but would be by far the easiest to use.

Such a web service would be most welcome! As for dependencies, isn't it
possible to generate list of all installed packages? If it is then we could
just feed the server with this file and it would calculate dependencies
itself (don't know if this wouldn't actually kill the server:)

Untill then you might be interested in those wiki pages.
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/AptMoveHowto
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PersonalRepositories
--
Sandis