Xgl timeframe?

Phillip Susi psusi at cfl.rr.com
Mon Feb 13 19:05:01 GMT 2006

Lee Revell wrote:

> THANK YOU!  Until we fix that, Windows users will consider Linux a joke.
>
> When I move a window why can't X simply remember what was behind it,
> rather than wasting my CPU redrawing the same goddamn bitmaps?

This annoys me as well, but saving the contents of all windows would
simply take too much ram.  Windows works the same way, but when then
uncovered window redraws the now uncovered parts, it does so fast enough
that you can't tell.  Since X is all around slower, it becomes very
noticeable and very annoying.  I'd like to know exactly why that
redrawing is so slow under X though, maybe there something there that
can be learned from windows to speed it up?