LiveCD qemu autoplay?

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Fri Feb 10 00:40:03 GMT 2006

On Thu, 9 Feb 2006, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 09, 2006 at 02:22:53PM -0700, Andrew Jorgensen wrote:
> > What would it take to launch the LiveCD in qemu on Windows?
> However, if qemu doesn't yet provide a way to access data on the host
> CD-ROM drive, I don't see how we can make it work.

All the "data" on the LiveCD is actually stored in the large cloop file,
which is a file in the real sense, so avoids the need for raw device access.

The only data that would not be accessible is the boot sector and that isn't
needed as the hardware (qemu) is already a known configuration.

About a year ago there was talk of doing something similar using co-Linux[0]
and an Xserver.  However, the Qemu-solution is more generic and I believe
Fabrice is looking for somebody to 'buy' the code to the Accelerator[1]
module for the GPL community...

  http://www.qemu.org/qemu-accel.html

Maybe there would be a case for investigating that, given the speed
differences.

	-Paul

[0] http://www.colinux.org/
--
Britain is just cold, in a pesky way.  London, GB