serial mouse autodetection for Xorg - Look out, little furry folk!

Oliver Grawert ogra at ubuntu.com
Sat Feb 4 13:27:39 GMT 2006

...And The Mouse Police Never Sleeps

we recently found a way to bind serial mice to /dev/input/mice which
will make the life of serial mouse users a lot easier in the future (no
need to reconfigure your X config anymore, just install and start the
inputattach tool with the correct values and it will work)

thats already quite nice, but we'd love to provide full autodetection
for such legacy hardware. to implement this, i'll need some more data
how many mice are really detectable and which brand/model they are...

(a question and some detection code will be added in later versions of
the hwdb-client application but first we want to get an overview of the
percentage of detectable serial mice at all)

if you own a serial mice and want to help here please run the following
commandline (copy/paste):

mdetect -vvv 2>/dev/null | grep tty

*** DONT MOVE THE MOUSE WHILE RUNNING IT, THIS WILL NOT GIVE THE DESIRED
INFO WE NEED HERE ***

if you have several serial ports, please repeat with the mouse plugged
in to each of them ...
collect the output and put it with the modelname and manufacturer name
into a mail that you send to me personally (please dont spam the
mailinglist with this info)

thanks for helping to make ubuntu better ....

ciao
	oli