Accessible Live CD update (gfxboot)

Luke Yelavich themuso at themuso.com
Thu Feb 2 11:43:00 GMT 2006

On Thu, Feb 02, 2006 at 10:31:14PM EST, Henrik Nilsen Omma wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just got back from the Distro sprint in London, where Colin and I had
> some very productive chats about making the boot process accessible. And
> a few hours later he had the basic framework in place. ROCK!

I read about this, and was going to email you about it. Sounds good!

> You navigate with the keyboard or press a number key (1-7) to activate
> an option, which will enable a set of pre-defined assistive
> technologies. The feature should hit the testing CDs next week,
> including Flight 4.

So how do totally blind people navigate this? Speech is impossible
at this time I am sure.

> One issue we encountered was that the Festival libs are rather huge, at
> 40MB, and so we decided to opt for Festival-light instead (at 8MB) for
> the live CD. After installing the system it would be possible to upgrade
> to Festival. We need to document this, or ideally make it very easy.
> Could we get Ubuntu Express to pull it down from the net for users who
> are using the Live CD with F-light? For those who have used Festival and
> Festival-light: what are the main differences? Is it just the quality of
> the voice?

Have you looked at language/keyboard selection to be spoken? Is d-i
still doing this, or is this done with gfxboot/UbuntuExpress?

As for flite and festival, IMO the default voice for both is not very
pleasant to listen to. There are no real differences between the two.
Flite is what its name suggests, a smaller implementation of festival.

> We still need to put in some work to make sure we select sensible config
> options for each of those categories and of course test the AT tools
> currently in Dapper to make sure they are well behaved.

I am also thinking of taking the next flite release, and building on
what has been done, to make a much more enhanced CD, mainly for those
who need speech/Braille.

Thanks for the update.
--
Luke Yelavich