Request: Automatic GRUB option in Dapper

Jimmy Angelakos vyruss at hellug.gr
Wed Feb 1 21:46:32 GMT 2006

Colin Watson wrote:

> The main usability issue at the moment is that the interface doesn't
> give you a visual hint on what's on each of the partitions it offers you
> so that you have some idea which one to select. That's a generic issue
> with rescue mode rather than just with GRUB reinstallation, though, and
> should be fixable.

The point is, I haven't seen Dapper yet, but in Breezy's rescue mode,
you're just dumped at a shell (if you manage to chroot to the right
partition). And if I remember correctly, rescue mode isn't even
*mentioned* in the F1-Help screens when booting from the CD!

Trying to see things as a newbie always improves usability and general
appearance for Ubuntu. So while there *is* an auto-GRUB-thing hidden in
the expert installation menu, realistically most people won't find it
because they won't think to look there for recovery options.

I think it's a good step to clearly include "Rescue" or "Bootloader
reinstallation" options in the help screens at bootup.

Also, you're right, this feature should mention what appears to be on
each partition. Currently Rescue Mode only shows you "meaningless"
partition numbers.

Should I amend my bug report (bug #30123) to clarify?

Cheers,
Jimmy

P.S. I'm a member of the Hellenic Linux User Group (hellug.gr) and
people from there agree with this idea too, as we support Ubuntu 100%
(We even gave thousands of Ubuntu packages away at COMDEX).