Concerns

Krzysztof Lichota krzysiek at lichota.net
Wed Dec 13 22:19:55 GMT 2006

Matt Zimmerman napisał(a):
> The creation of derivative distributions based on Ubuntu, where the
> trademark is respected according to our policy[1], is not only allowed, it
> is encouraged.  If your tool makes this process easier, then everyone is
> happy.  Thanks for your concern.
>
> [1] http://www.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/TrademarkPolicy

This brings questions what exactly is usage of Ubuntu name. I think it
needs clarification on this page.
For example:
1. File /etc/lsb-release (from package base-files) contains name of
distro, which is used by some tools (for example network configuration
tools) to identify how to handle files. Also the content of this file
(AFAIK) is displayed in console login. Should the contents of this file
(i.e. base-files package) be replaced in derivative distro?
2. Default user in live cd is "ubuntu" and hostname "ubuntu". Should
this be changed.
3. Ubiquity contains logo of Ubuntu/Kubuntu. Should it be removed?
4. Package names contain strings like "1.4.4-0ubuntu1". Should package
names be changed?
5. What are the rules for using "based on Ubuntu xx.xx" or "compatible
with Ubuntu xx.xx" when advertising distro? This also brings question
where credits to Ubuntu should be put - on main page, in docs, on CD
cover, on CD?

I would also appreciate clarification if using Ubuntu archives (and
mirrors) for derivative distros (the non-rebuilt ones, according to your
classification) is OK or not and what are the rules.

I think these questions would really help creators of derivative distros
feel confident they comply to the rules and would spur creation of new,
innovative distros based on Ubuntu base (a vision I hoped to make real
when I have created UCK).

	Krzysztof Lichota