Accepted update-notifier 0.50 (source)

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Wed Dec 13 08:53:51 GMT 2006

Hi Matt,

Matt Zimmerman [2006-12-12 16:16 -0800]:
> There seems to be an increasing need for non-root processes to notify the
> user of events.  Have you considered creating a new directory for this
> purpose where notification files can be left by unprivileged processes?

Indeed Michael and I have considered something more modular and
abstract for quite a long time, the so-called 'event notifier'. The
current state of u-n is one of those 'ugly hacks' (Matt, remember our
conversation from yesterday? :) ): various stuff that just accumulated
over time and by now deserves a complete redesign.

Merely leaving an arbitrary notification file behind makes it hard to
translate the files, so this needs some more effort and proper i18n
integration. Removing the notification file by the user's session is
also not trivial.

That's why Michael and I agreed to just add yet another hardcoded
function for now, and rather spend time for design and coding for the
completely new solution. By now we should have enough use cases (crash
reports, this avahi notification, reboots, dist-upgrades, package
installation failures, etc.).

Thanks,

Martin

--