Consolidate handling of ~/.xsession-errors

Johan Kiviniemi ubuntu.com-devel at johan.kiviniemi.name
Fri Dec 8 21:20:17 GMT 2006

On Fri, Dec 08, 2006 at 09:20:49PM +0100, Martin Pitt wrote:
> in the recent distro team meeting we had a short discussion about how
> to handle ~/.xsession-errors.

> - With kdm/xdm, dapper did never remove/truncate the file, which
>   caused disk space DoS with programs where logging has gone wild. See
>   https://launchpad.net/bugs/60448.
> - In edgy, we mitigated that by truncating the file to .5 MB on login.
>   However, that will fail if /home and /tmp are on the same partition,
>   which is (unfortunately) our default configuration.

Perhaps there should be a simple GUI program that gets started by *dm
instead of the normal desktop session if the free space in /home is less
than a certain amount.

It would tell the user her partition is almost full, and list things
that can be deleted to free space.

The list would contain e.g.:
• trash, if it's not empty
• .xsession-errors, if its size exceeds a certain amount
• browser cache(s), if their size exceeds a certain amount
• thumbnails

The list items would have a checkbox that is checked by default, and
there would be a button to delete the checked things. When they are
deleted, the corresponding items would disappear from the list.

If the list becomes empty *and* there is enough free space on /home, the
program would start the desktop session and exit automatically.

The window would contain a close/continue button that starts the desktop
session, and also a menu item for starting a terminal.

--
Jοhan Kiviniemi  http://johan.kiviniemi.name/