Can we use new gtk+ libraries over old distro?

Sebastien Bacher seb128 at ubuntu.com
Tue Dec 5 11:25:33 GMT 2006

Le mardi 05 décembre 2006 à 11:56 +0800, Joel Bryan Juliano a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> As a Dapper user, Is it possible to install the newest gtk+ libraries
> that is available on Edgy and Feisty, most notably Cairo, and Pango.
> The reason is if there's speed & memory benefits of using the new
> libraries, or will it crash.

hi,

GTK 2.10 changed its ABI version due to the async file-selector, it
would require upgrading to libgnomeui from GNOME 2.16 (which would
require other GNOME 2.16 packages too) and to rebuild all the packages
shipping a GTK theme engine or input method too. It would probably be
easier for you to update to edgy

Cheers,

Sebastien Bacher