Suspend2 isn't invasive.

Travis Watkins alleykat at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 14:45:57 GMT 2006

On 12/1/06, Hervé Fache <Herve at lucidia.net> wrote:
> As I said before on this list, one cannot judge suspend2 vs swsusp
> until they try both, and I did. I started up with a biased stance
> towards sticking to Linus' tree, but once you've tasted suspend2 it's
> hard to go back to black screens and no info.

uswsusp can apparently give you the same thing here.

> I do believe people that tell me both use the same kernel resources,
> but it's quite obvious that they use them in different ways. On
> Dapper, I used to get the suspend2 kernels from Dagobah, and my work
> machine was hibernated every night. It could not hibernate with stock
> kernels. Neither could my wife's laptop until Suspend2.

With the stock kernel did they fail to hibernate or fail to resume?
Big difference.

> My old laptop (small RAM small swap) could also hibernate with
> suspend2 thanks to image compression, and the speed was quite good (a
> few seconds).

This is a valid use-case for suspend2, I guess.

> I quite understand that Ben Collins has got more than his share of
> work with the kernel, so I can understand a technical choice and do
> not complain (please fix that KT400 bug ;-), but please don't tell us
> swsusp is the same as Suspend2, because it would be the same a saying
> an old VW Beatle is the same as a Merc.

Even Nigel says suspend2 and swsusp are the same as far as hardware
compatibility goes.

--
Travis Watkins
http://www.realistanew.com