Non-free drivers (Re: Invitation to ubuntu developers)

Bjorn Paulson bjorn.paulson at gmail.com
Fri Dec 1 09:45:26 GMT 2006

One of the major selling points of Ubuntu is its (oft-cited) "ease of
installation"[1]--in order to install, the Linux newbie only needs one
CD, which boots into a GUI.  While having multiple CDs would greatly
assist those in regions where Internet access is not available (urban
China is heavily networked, btw), the user who is _completely_ new to
Linux (and who likely found Ubuntu on Distrowatch) does not want to
have to work to get a system running.  Research is a pain, and burning
a bunch of CDs, as opposed to one, takes a lot of time.

One of the major reasons why Ubuntu is popular is that it is so easy
to just burn and boot (aside from "bling," apparently).  Moving to a
more than 1-CD install would slow progress towards bug #1, IMHO.  (One
exception: An alternate "offline" install set, available exclusively
through ShipIt.)

--Bjorn Paulson

[1] www.ubuntu.com/desktop