Optimized kernel builds: the straight dope

Ben Collins bcollins at ubuntu.com
Thu Aug 24 13:27:05 BST 2006

On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 19:01 +1000, Jamie Jones wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-08-24 at 01:24 -0700, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
>
> > Any additional data you can provide through your own observations is welcome
> > in this discussion.
> >

> I've tried now asking for detailed instructions on how to reproduce
> this, ideally with Ben's config for contest, twice now. Both replies I
> got have not provided something I can use to add more data to validate
> or refute the decision.
>
> That being the case, my interest in providing feedback wanes, when I
> feel that my request (as simple as it is) is not deemed worthy of an
> answer.

There's something to be said for documentation that comes with a
program, and people failing to find it. The steps you want are in the
docs for the program. I read them, and followed them step-by-step. And
Matt even sent that README along with the original email. That being the
case, I fail to see what good it would do to rewrite this for you.

> My observations thus far ? A decision was made on the data points of two
> boxes, and was posted as a formality to the list. Requests for specific
> details on how to reproduce the results have been ignored as evidently
> that data is not desired, even if it may ultimately validate your
> decision.

It's more than desired. However, I think we expected people to read the
document that was sent with the results, or actually look at the docs
for the program we reported using. Matt sent the exact document that I
used from the package to create the results. You need only read it.

--
Ubuntu     - http://www.ubuntu.com/
Debian     - http://www.debian.org/