CD image size recovery suggestions

Sebastian Dröge slomo at circular-chaos.org
Mon Aug 28 10:13:08 BST 2006

Am Montag, den 28.08.2006, 07:58 +0200 schrieb Øivind Hoel:
> Back to the mono potential: since we already have mono, perhaps now
> would be a good time to debate whether to drop rhytmbox in favour of
> banshee? Banshee is much smaller than rhythmbox both in terms of CD
> size and installed size, according to my trusty old apt-cache command.
> In addition, banshee seems to offer a more complete package,
> especially if banshee-official-plugins is also supplied.

At least banshee 0.10.X is not yet a complete replacement for rhythmbox.
Stuff like internet radio (yes, it is in official-plugins but
official-plugins is more targeted at 0.11/0.12) and a itunes-like
browser mode (the artist-album-tracks view) is missing. Apart from that
rhythmbox currently can handle large libraries with much lower memory
usage.
This all (and much more) should be fixed or added with 0.12.X but not in
the edgy timeframe.

Bye