Serious bug ... xserver-xorg-core update kills X

Charl Fourie charlfo at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 06:40:23 BST 2006

Having a pre-update yum repository seems like an excellent idea.  There
is certainly a large enough community (with a large enough range of
hardware) that will then be testing/using any updates before it gets
released to the rest of the Ubuntu world.  We should remember that
issues like the xorg-server issue experienced has got a major effect on
the reputation of Ubuntu with regards to reliability within the
corporate world.  If the impression is given within the corporate world
that going over to Ubuntu is a risky business, they will simply not do
it.  I myself have lost a couple of hours of productivity due to the
above mentioned issue.  Thank goodness it only happened on my
workstation.  The idea of using Ubuntu has only recently started
catching on at our company, and if this had happened on any of my
colleagues computers, chances are that it would have stopped it in it's
tracks.  I myself cannot really recommend Ubuntu to my less literate
friends if there is nothing in place to ensure me that the above will
not happen again.

Just to state my point again, I would sincerely like to cast my vote for
having a pre-update yum repository (and would be one of those early
birds myself to be using it.)  If the Ubuntu community is serious about
reaching the corporate community at large and alleviating risk for them,
I cannot think of a more excellent solution.

Charl