Optimized kernel builds: the straight dope [fp extensions]

Pavel Rojtberg pavel at madman2k.net
Tue Aug 15 16:26:03 BST 2006

Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> I'm interested to hear (objective, reasoned) feedback on this data and my
> conclusions from the members of this list.
it would be interesting to see a i386 vs k7 comparison.
Since the architectural difference is bigger; the k7 architecture has
some floating point extensions(3D Now) which usually have a big impact
on performance.
Therefore we should look if the kernel can handle these well enough
dynamically.
Perhaps it would make sense to leave one optimized kernel on i386 for
newer CPUs.
This could be SSE optimized then to be more generic (AthlonXP+, Pentium3+)

Pavel