First shot at new sponsoring workflow

Martin Pitt martin.pitt at ubuntu.com
Fri Aug 4 16:14:20 BST 2006

Hi Ubuntu developers,

As discussed in Tuesday's Tech Board meeting, we need to improve the
workflow for sponsored uploads (or, rather, instantiate such a process
in the first place).

After some discussion we quickly agreed that it would be best to use
Malone, Launchpad, and some magic scripts

Launchpad
=========
Thus, there are now two new LP teams:

  https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-main-sponsors
  https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-universe-sponsors

Everybody who is interested in helping with sponsoring, please join
one or both teams. I would also appreciate if a MOTU could become
owner of ubuntu-universe-sponsors.

You can see the currently pending requests at

  https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-main-sponsors/+subscribedbugs
  https://launchpad.net/people/ubuntu-universe-sponsors/+subscribedbugs

Creating a request
==================

I wrote a little python script that reads a debdiff from stdin or a
file, creates a bug report, and assigns it to the appropriate team:

  http://people.ubuntu.com/~pitti/scripts/requestsponsor

Requirements:

  * You need a deb-src line for the release you upload to (and must be
    up-to-apt-get-update, of course).
  * The environment variable DEBEMAIL must be set.
  * The script currently needs a local MTA.

(Improvements appreciated!)

With this script, creating a request is as easy as

  debdiff cupsys_1.2.1-0ubuntu1.dsc cupsys_1.2.1-0ubuntu2.dsc| requestsponsor

or

  debdiff cupsys_1.2.1-0ubuntu1.dsc cupsys_1.2.1-0ubuntu2.dsc > diff
  [review diff]
  requestsponsor diff

The script will ask you for your GPG passphrase to sign the bug
report. It automatically uses gnome-gpg if it is installed.

Sponsoring a request
====================

Since Malone's email interface currently does not support attachments,
requestsponsor puts the diffs inline into the bug report. Therefore it
is quite hard to grab a diff from the web interface. However, if you
are subscribed to the team, you get the diff as (gpg-signed) mail.

Save the email in raw text form [1], and do

  apt-get source package
  cd package-*
  gpg -o - /path/to/saved/email | patch -Elp1

You should check the signature verification result.

Once someone else than me has actually tested the process as well, and
the discussion settles, this will announced to ubuntu-devel-announce@,
and I will wikify the instructions.

Thanks,

Martin

[1] Hint for us mutt users: 'v', 's', enter file name
--
Martin Pitt        http://www.piware.de

In a world without walls and fences, who needs Windows and Gates?