update-grub and kopt / groot lines

Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy nigde at mitechki.net
Tue Aug 8 16:55:44 BST 2006

While I understand the reluctance to change this, since this is legacy
Debian way of doing things, I think the complaint is valid. The current
implementation is subverting the meaning of comment syntax. Everywhere
you look # means that anything after it doesn't affect the
configuration, where in menu.lst the situation is effectively reversed
and confused. Anything uncommented will work right away, but will be
overwritten on the next kernel update, but anything commented will not
be active, but will suddenly activate after the next kernel update. This
is the same awful syntax subversion that red hat's chkconfig is using
(they are using comments in the service control scripts for service
specific settings). I would suggest either making a separate config file
in /etc or taking FreeBSD /etc/default schema, and comparing template
menu file in /etc/default with the actual file (possibly hand edited) in
the /boot/grub and merging the changes keeping hand edited info.