Freedom (Re: Most offensive thing I've seen all day)

Jan Moren jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Fri Aug 4 00:34:04 BST 2006

tor 2006-08-03 klockan 20:15 -0300 skrev Daniel:

>         Quite the contrary, in fact.  One of the core values of Ubuntu
>         is that it is
>         available to everyone, without restriction on how they use
>         it.  That is an
>         important part of the freedom provided by "free software".
>
>         Religious organizations, governments, charities and stamp
>         collecting clubs
>         are all welcome and encouraged to adopt Ubuntu and to
>         customize it to meet
>         their needs, regardless of whether they share an ideology with
>         other Ubuntu
>         users.  This is what it's all about.
>
>         --
>         - mdz
>
>         --
>
> Only that it wouldn't be so easy if it was Jihadbuntu, with a nice pic
> of the twin towers colapsing as the default wallpaper. Would it?

Quite easy - they'd be allowed to do that just like these people are
allowed this. You may not like it personally, but that is beside the
point. Ubuntu (and GPL and other free licenses) do not put a restriction
on who can use it beyond following the license terms. Left-wing or
right-wing; religious or rational; army or peace organization; chemical
industry or Greenpeace; Israel or Palestine; Superman or Lex Luthor -
all are allowed to use it freely if they follow the terms.

--
Dr. Jan Morén (mr)
Japan:  090-3622 8920           jan.moren at lucs.lu.se
Sweden: 031-360 7723            http://lucs.lu.se/people/jan.moren