Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Dan Kegel dank at kegel.com
Wed Aug 2 00:03:57 BST 2006

On 8/1/06, Brandon Holtsclaw <imbrandon at kubuntu.org> wrote:
> +1 , isnt xubuntu the scaled down version for older computers, why are
> we putting TOO much worry in this for "edgy" that is supose to have the
> bells a whistles

At the moment, the "Memory and Disk Space Requirements" part of the
Dapper manual,
  http://doc.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/install/i386/ch02s05.html
claims that Dapper only needs 32MB of RAM.
That's misleading, since most users aren't doing headless installs.

It would be good if Edgy set hard RAM + performance goals, e.g.
--- snip ---
 RAM Requirements
  All variants of Edgy will install and boot properly on systems with
at least 32MB of RAM.
  Additionally, it will meet the following performance targets on a
1GHz Pentium III system:
  192 MB: [k]ubuntu: boot to login screen:  60 seconds
  192 MB: [k]ubuntu: load OpenOffice2: 30 seconds
  96 MB: xubuntu: boot to login screen: 60 seconds
  96 MB: xubuntu: load Abiword: 30 seconds
--- snip ---
The odd memory sizes are chosen to match those observed in the
field on entry-level systems being sold today which use shared video ram
(i.e. which steal 32 or 64 MB of system RAM as their video RAM).

The 30 and 60 second numbers are just guesses; maybe the real
numbers should be higher or lower, but we should choose some
and stick to them.

It'd be nice to also have performance targets for other apps
(Firefox, etc) but I'd be happy with having *any*.
- Dan