Mono required by ubuntu-desktop

Evandro Fernandes Giovanini evandrofg at ig.com.br
Tue Aug 1 23:00:44 BST 2006

Em Ter, 2006-08-01 às 22:47 +0200, Pavel Rojtberg escreveu:
> Scott Dier wrote:
> > Dmitriy Kropivnitskiy wrote:
> >> Ooh. I am not a RAM fetishist, so when my browser takes 200MB res I
> >> think it is OK (after all I have 30+ tabs open and haven't closed it in
> >> a few days). But 22MB for sticky notes?! OMFG!
> >
> > 22MB is a small price to pay for a portable and searchable (by beagle)
> > wiki. :)
> who cares about portability? we are putting together a linux
> distribution. besides mono is all but portable (doesnt run on *BSD)

Mono runs on Windows, Mac OS X, GNU/Linux and *BSD.

> and if you think about the fact that you can have a whole beagle like
> indexer (tracker, yes I know it can do more) in about 8MB and put in the
> remaining 14MB lets say rhythmbox (which is intended to be searcheable
> with tracker) 22MB seems a lot to me.

Until tracker can provide the more useful features of beagle it's hard
to do a comparison. But I don't see beagle being proposed for inclusion
yet so this discussion is irrelevant at this moment.

> besides why should we waste RAM when everybody else tries to save it?
> Its not like tomboy or f-spot would be some absolutley must have killer
> apps. (does linux have those at all? or is it the philosophy/ freedom?)

I'm sure Ubuntu wants to do better. Providing more features and better
applications is not a waste of RAM, it's putting RAM to good use.

> how many complaints are there about gthumb and sticky notes? and is it
> worth giving up all out of the box functionality for lower end computers
> just to add some more for the high end users is a bad trade-off.

There are users unhappy with gthumb and sticky notes, but if you can do
better you don't have to wait around for someone to complain about it. A
good software developer will answer user's complaints before they even
make them. ;)

Cheers,
Evandro