Change in acpi-support in Dapper - does your machine still boot?

Matthew Garrett mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org
Sun Apr 30 19:33:30 BST 2006

I've just made a change to acpi-support in Dapper - it's in version
0.75. In the past we only saved graphics card state on boot if you'd
explicitly enabled suspend to RAM, but now that that's a per-user
preference this makes less sense. So, instead, on every boot we call

vbetool vbestate save >/var/lib/acpi-support/vbestate

in order to be able to restore it after resume from memory.

Now.

There's a slight chance that this will break on a small number of
machines. If your machine no longer boots after installing this upgrade,
then plese do the following:

1) Boot in recovery mode
2) Edit /etc/default/acpi-support and change

SAVE_VBE_STATE=true

SAVE_VBE_STATE=false

3) Reboot. Your system should now boot. Log in and do

sudo dmidecode >/tmp/system_info

4) Mail me (not the list!) the /tmp/system_info file and I'll fix it for
the next package version

Thanks,
Matthew Garrett | mjg59 at srcf.ucam.org