usplash font suggestion

Scott Robinson scott_ubuntu at scott.tranzoa.net
Sun Apr 30 17:45:38 BST 2006

On Sun, Apr 30, 2006 at 04:22:02PM +0100, James Hall wrote:
[...]
> I agree. The font needs replacing with something clearer. I'd rather
> there wasn't any text *at all* unless there is a problem. No-one cares
> that ALSA started up. They'd only care if it didn't start up. Maybe
> write this text straight into a log instead (if it doesn't already.)

I second that sentiment. We really seem to be snatching failure from the
jaws of success.

	* User unfriendly debugging output.
	* English status text regardless of the system locale.

When errors or a timeout issue occurs, usplash already reverts to the
console. So, there really a reason to leave it there.

A quick try at cleaning up the process indicates that the following
files need to be modified to remove everything but the "System is
[restarting | shutting down], please wait..." line.

	/etc/lsb-base-logging.sh
	/etc/init.d/usplash
	/usr/share/initramfs-tools/init

Scott.