FeatureSpecification: apt-third-party

Jerry Haltom wasabi at larvalstage.net
Wed Apr 5 14:50:04 BST 2006

No. This spec doesn't propose or try to handle anything regarding
installing into $HOME. Doing that, using dpkg, is going to require some
modification of dpkg maybe, and definitely custom packages, at this
point.

I also don't think the demand for that sort of thing is as big as some
people seem to think.

Programs which contain their own update mechanism have always been a
problem with Debian. Usually we end up turning their own update
mechanism off and pushing it manually.

I think part of this goes away when it becomes the third parties
themselves who are using apt... then could then push their updates for
Ubuntu/Debian using apt... or not. Up to them.