GTK Icon Cache and dh_iconcache usage

Daniel Holbach daniel.holbach at ubuntu.com
Tue Apr 4 20:29:22 BST 2006

Hello everybody,

as you might have gathered from ongoing discussions already, we were
having a look into using GTK's Icon Cache and found it worthwhile to
pursue it.

The problem we faced in the beginning of the discussions was that

     1. Random applications install icons into /usr/share/icons/hicolor
        and /usr/share/icons/gnome
     2. The Icon Cache spec wants the mtime of the directory updated, if
        a package is installed, so GTK can notice if the Icon Cache is
        out of date.
     3. That doesn't happen.
     4. Broken applications explode if they "can't display icons".

In order to remedy that and use the *cool* characteristics of the Icon
Cache (~300k less memory usage by application and less seeking on the
disk), we wrote dh_iconcache which is in the archive. CDBS' gnome.mk
makes use of that already, so packages using gnome.mk are fine.

All the other applications need to add it to debian/rules, everything
else will be taken care of. The list of packages is available at [1] and
if you plan an upload of a package in question, please tick it off.

[1] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DhIconCacheChanges

Please note: this doesn't require any additional
Dependencies/Build-Dependencies. If the user has libgtk2.0-bin
installed, it will be used, else not.

Thanks for taking care, have a nice day,
 The Desktop Team