Default fonts in Firefox

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 11:20:26 CDT 2005

On Fri, Sep 30, 2005 at 05:18:08PM +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:

> We should just copy that from Debian.

I would be very surprised if Ubuntu don't have the same lines in
/etc/fonts/fonts.conf, it's from fontconfig upstream after all.

> On Fri, 2005-09-30 at 10:02 -0500, Ming Hua wrote:
> >     <alias>
> >         <family>Times</family>
> >     </alias>
>
> Times is serif, not sans-serif.

Sorry, my typo.

> > ?  I'm not sure that's a good idea, as it really looks like circular
> > dependency.
>
> Maybe, someone else would know that better. But, if that's wrong, we
> could link it to Vera fonts, not Nimbus.
>
> My point is that lines from 145 to 156 are cause of all the problems
> with firefox not rendering pages good. We are linking these fonts with
> Nimbus. I don't know why is that, but that makes firefox look ugly.

I am not arguing about the fact that these Nimbus fonts are the source
of the webpage rendering problem.  (If you read my first mail in this
thread you'll see I have the same opinion).

I am arguing that Ian Jackson's proposal for removing these alias lines
for Nimbus fonts are actually the better idea.  If you look closely, the
grammar, which is different than all the other alias lines.  And we
should already have the alias from Times to serif in the
what the differences are, but I simply don't see what you mean by "don't
delete them, change them".

Ming
2005.09.30