Default fonts in Firefox

Ming Hua minghua-list at sbcglobal.net
Fri Sep 30 10:02:28 CDT 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 08:48:02PM +0200, Ante Karamatic wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-09-29 at 19:39 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:
>
> > [2] I've had representations that the answer is to delete
>
> No. Not delete, change.
>
> > <!--
> >   URW provides metric and shape compatible fonts for these 3 Adobe families.
> >   -->
> >         <alias>
> >           <family>Times</family>
>
> Times should be alias for serif, Helvetica for sans and Courier for
> monspace.

Given that we already have Times as an alias to sans-serif (as on a
Debian testing box, sorry for not having Ubuntu box handy):
    <alias>
        <family>Times</family>
    </alias>
    <alias>
        <family>serif</family>
        <prefer>
            <family>Times</family>
        </prefer>
    </alias>
I think we can safely delete these alias to URW fonts.

Or do you mean we should have something like
    <alias>
        <family>Times</family>
    </alias>
?  I'm not sure that's a good idea, as it really looks like circular
dependency.

Ming
2005.09.30