vga16fb diagnostics

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Fri Sep 30 07:54:14 CDT 2005

Paul Sladen wrote:

>On Fri, 30 Sep 2005, Carey O'Shea wrote:
>
>Hello Carey,
>
>Thanks for those!
>

>>Breezy Console: http://users.on.net/~lncoshea/carey/breezy-console.jpg
>>Breezy Installer: http://users.on.net/~lncoshea/carey/breezy-installer.jpg
>>Breezy Splash: http://users.on.net/~lncoshea/carey/breezy-splash.jpg
>>

>Puzzling, I'm not sure why the wraparound in this picture appears to show
>the text (at the top---the wraparound) being squished to half-height.
>
>*confuzzled*
>

>>http://users.on.net/~lncoshea/carey/breezy-installer-splash.jpg
>>

>640x400x4 set by sys/isolinux, so no problems (the machine booted in this
>mode).
>

>>Breezy with my own 2.6.13-2 custom kernel (Why is it fixed?):
>>http://users.on.net/~lncoshea/carey/breezy-with-kernel-2.6.13-2.jpg
>>

>Thanks for typing the numbers here, it made the counting easier :).  In this
>case the machine is running in 80x25 text-mode (on a 640x400 clock) and
>probably not using the framebuffer;  just plain VGA text-generation by the
>video-card itself.
>
>	-Paul

So it's a strange issue then? My laptop is a brand new AMD64bit laptop,
a rebadged Arima W720-K8M from TPG Australia.

I experience this issue only in Debian and Ubuntu installers / consoles
/ splash. I don't experience it in any other linux distro or Windows.
Why would this be, are they not using vga16fb?

I'll reply with the output of those commands later tonight.