OpenOffice/Gnome file dialogs

Julien Olivier julo at altern.org
Fri Sep 30 04:07:48 CDT 2005

Le vendredi 30 septembre 2005 à 09:53 +0100, Thomas Beckett a écrit :
> > In another posting, a list member mentioned the fact that his Windows buddy could
> > not figure out how to install additional fonts on Ubuntu.  I also could not
> > figure out the GUI way to do it on Ubuntu.  So of course I resorted to the non-GUI way
> > which is easy for me (i.e., as root drop fonts into /usr/share/fonts).  But
> > even as I was solving the problem for myself, I was thinking, gee this *really*
> > is *not* the right answer for inexperienced users!
>
> If you load nautilus as root then you can drag and drop the files into
> /usr/share/fonts
> You can also store fonts in ~/.fonts (i think thats the name) so i
> assume you can just create that folder if it doesnt exist and then
> drag and drop your new fonts to there as a normal user. The font
> importer then opens and installs them there.

There is a simpler way: open System -> Preferences -> Fonts.

Here, click on "details" (at the bottom-right of the dialog). Then, an
advanced dialog opens. Just next to the "close" button, there is "go to
font folder" button. Click on it, and it'll open the list of installed
fonts. Just DND your new fonts here.

--
Julien Olivier <julo at altern.org>