vga16fb diagnostics

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Thu Sep 29 03:12:20 CDT 2005

On Thu, 29 Sep 2005, Carey O'Shea wrote:

Hello Carey,

> So, am I a victim of vga16fb not working? If so, tell me, and I'll do
> those tests for you.

Yes.  Definately.

> My usplash, and my console, and the Ubuntu installer, all have the
> bottom of the screen "extended" and some of the display that should be
> down the bottom is squished at the top. It makes the console and Ubuntu
> installer unusable and the usplash looks wrong.

If this is about 4.4 (?[0]) lines of text, then adaptor is being a very good
approximation of a real VGA card with 128kB of memory.  More precisely, it
is being a very good approximation of an *EGA* card.

When the screen is redrawn top-to-bottom, then graphics drawn past the the
area off the end of the second page (>128kB) will start overwriting the top
again.

Do you have a digital camera handy and could snap a picture?

	-Paul

[0] (640*480/2 - 2**17) / (640*8) = 4.4
--
The autumn is wet here.  Lancaster, GB