vga16fb diagnostics

Carey O'Shea carey at internode.on.net
Wed Sep 28 20:55:27 CDT 2005

Matthew Garrett wrote:

>Hello,
>
>I'm trying to track down why vga16fb doesn't work on some machines.
>
>Please don't do this if vga16fb works for you.

I think vga16fb might not work for me, but I'm not sure.

My usplash, and my console, and the Ubuntu installer, all have the
bottom of the screen "extended" and some of the display that should be
down the bottom is squished at the top. It makes the console and Ubuntu
installer unusable and the usplash looks wrong.

If I use vga=771 my console is fine and the installer is fine, but
usplash then won't display.

So, am I a victim of vga16fb not working? If so, tell me, and I'll do
those tests for you.