Installation of gv and wget and upgrading of util-linux fails

Christoph Bier christoph.bier at web.de
Wed Sep 28 06:29:44 CDT 2005

Hello!

I already asked this question last week on the user list but didn't
get any answer. Some months ago the installation of gv an wget
failed on my laptop that runs Hoary. Because this occurs only on the
laptop and I had only little time to investigate I didn't care. But
now also upgrading of util-linux fails.

# LANG=C sudo apt-get dist-upgrade -u

prints the following:

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
  util-linux
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
3 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/378kB of archives.
After unpacking 0B of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]?

Preconfiguring packages ...
(Reading database ... 87604 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace util-linux 2.12p-2ubuntu2 (using
.../util-linux_2.12p-2ubuntu2.2_i386.deb) ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: warning - old pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
install-info: No dir file specified; try --help for more information.
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.12p-2ubuntu2.2_i386.deb (--unpack):
 subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 1
install-info: unrecognized option `--description=System V
interprocess communication facilities'
        Try `install-info --help' for a complete list of options.
dpkg: error while cleaning up:
 /var/cache/apt/archives/util-linux_2.12p-2ubuntu2.2_i386.deb

Any ideas how to fix it? TIA

Best regards,
	Christoph
--