Default fonts in Firefox

Shot - Piotr Szotkowski shot at hot.pl
Mon Sep 26 15:04:26 CDT 2005

Hello.

Ian Jackson:

>  * Use sans-serif fonts, rather than serif fonts, when the
>    website doesn't specify.

It's more important 'which fonts'. Verdana and Georgia were designed
for the screen and are great at this - so these are always set as my
defaults. As msttcorefonts is not in Ubuntu main, I guess both Verdana
and Georgia are out of the question; if you believe that the web pages
look better in whatever sans-serif font Ubuntu ships then I say go for
it.

>  * Set minimum font size to 11 (one less than the default size of 12).

I can clearly see where are you coming from, but please do consider this
one throughly. There is a trend among those of the web developers who
are concerned with their sites' accessibility to leave the font size
at the users' default setting, and/or use a percentage of the setting
instead of fixing it to a given pixel size (this is strongly tied to
the fact that Internet Explorer can't resize pixel-specified text, so
if I want to make a site that has a resizable text, I have to use font
sizes specified relatively to the user's default).

The default of 12px is widely accepted across different browsers and
operating systems, and it would really be a headache for web developers
if the most popular Linux distro broke this in its default browser.

I also doubt this would benefit the readers. Quite a lot of web pages
define their font sizes relatively to the default of 12px, and making
them effectively render with a smaller font on the default setup might
do in fact more harm/inconvenience than good to Ubuntu users.

> There is room for discussion about whether we should also
> change the default font chosen for each of sans and serif.

And what are the defaults? (Sorry for asking this,
but I don't have an Ubuntu desktop install at hand.)

Cheers,
-- Shot
--
       Radio buttons [in Ubuntu's Firefox] look like they were drawn in
       the dark by a drunk with a broken pencil.      -- Matthew Thomas