Trouble remastering a LiveCD

Rented Mule dirtyrentedmule at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 24 14:16:07 CDT 2005

Ok, this shouldn't be rocket-science, but it
apparently is. I am trying to make a LiveCD, but no
matter how I go about it, I simply can't get the cd to
start Ubuntu (This applies to Ubuntu AND Kubuntu 5.04
AND 5.10). The kernel boots. I get asked for my
language (English), asked for my location (United
States), My keyboard (American English), then it goes
onto "Detecting hardware to find CD-Rom drives"...
after it finishes, the screen goes red and a message
is displayed:

"Non-Ubuntu CD-Rom detected.
The CD-ROM drive contains a non-Ubuntu CD.
Please insert the Ubuntu CD to continue with the
installation"

I don't have any weird hardware... there is only one
CD-Rom drive. I have tried this cd on several
machines. To simplify the debugging, here is what I
did to make the cd from the original image:

cd /tmp
mount -o loop -t iso9660 /tmp/ubuntu-livecd-504.iso
/mnt/cdrom
mkdir ubuntu
cd ubuntu
cp -R /mnt/cdrom/* .
cd ..
mkisofs -r -J -l -V "My Ubuntu Test CD" -b
isolinux/isolinux.bin -c isolinux/boot.cat
-no-emul-boot -boot-load-size 4 -boot-info-table -o
newubuntu.iso ubuntu

I then burn the ISO, and boot. Against my better
judgement, I have tried several different brands of
burning software with no luck. I also tried to boot
the iso in VMWare with the same results, so I am
pretty certain, it has to do with the CD layout, not
how I am burning anything.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.