Gnome-panel, Nautilus and Memory

Lorenzo E. Danielsson lordan at backa97.org
Sat Sep 24 14:05:02 CDT 2005

On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 14:09 -0400, AndersAA wrote:
> Lorenzo E. Danielsson Wrote:
> > On Sat, 2005-09-24 at 12:05 -0400, AndersAA wrote:
> > > find out what exactly is using all the memory, chances are it's a
> > leak
> > > somewhere.
> >
> > That's my guess as well.
> > >

> > > try tools like top, and xrestop (xrestop will show whats using X
> > shared
> > > memory).
> >
> > I use top, never tried xrestop. I can see which applications are using
> > memory. Gnome-panel is eating the most, followed by nautilus.
> >

> > > --
> > > AndersAA
> > >
> > --
> > Homepage/Weblog: http://backa97.org
> > Jabber: lordan at jabber.earth.li
> >

> > --
>
> are you running any special themes/icon sets/mouse pointers?  I've
> seen those cause leaks under some conditions.

Hm.. Now that is interesting, because I switched from using the default
Gnome icon theme to dropline Etiquette just around the time my memory
leak problems started. Never really gave it a thought, because I could
never imagine that an icon theme could affect the desktop, but now that
you mention it..

I tried reverting to the default icon theme and all of a sudden the
desktop is behaving again. Thanks a bunch for that tip!

> Also, you could try making a new user, and seeing if that user has the
> same problems.  If not chances are the problem is because one of the
> .g* directories in your home folder, but dont remove them all, you
> wanna be able to reproduce the problem so the developers can figure out
> what's causing it ;)

I really want to avoid removing .gnome2, .gconf and friends. During my
Gentoo days I remember the standing response to upgrade problems was
that you should remove all the gnome related directories. But that would
mean you have to reconfigure quite a bit each time you upgrade..

--
Homepage/Weblog: http://backa97.org
Jabber: lordan at jabber.earth.li