The name of Breezy+1

jimcooncat dlist at ubuntuforums.org
Fri Sep 23 05:55:43 CDT 2005

Thomas Beckett Wrote:
> The one thing that could be done to help this is that the repositories
> could be renamed as 5.04 and 5.10 once the release is made instead of

> remaining as Hoary and Breezy in Synaptic etc then there would be no
> exposure at all to the developers code-names except by people who
> choose to follow it.

Doesn't look to me that the release name is very obvious in Synaptic or
elsewhere in the environment. It's only obvious once you start to fiddle
with the repositories. Then you'd have some confusion once the
repositories if they are renamed, unless the same repository can be
accessed by both names.

Seems to me that the most exposure of the release name is within these
forums themselves, as well as in the pre-release media hype.

If we started marketing ahead of time by the version number, we'd lose
any kind of marketing imagery at all. Also, what if (heaven forbid) the
release is a month late? Is it set in stone that Dapper would be 6.04 or
would it bump to 6.05?

--
jimcooncat