Possible error in install manual on CD?

Colin Watson cjwatson at ubuntu.com
Wed Sep 21 03:11:49 CDT 2005

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 08:03:28PM -0600, Michael Moore wrote:
> I just downloaded the latest x86 Breezy CD and was reading the documentation.
>
> Maybe I've missunderstood something, but here's what it says:
>
> <quote>
> 2.1.1 Supported Architectures
> Ubuntu 5.10 supports eleven major architectures and several variations
> of each architecture known as 'flavors'.
> </quote>
>
> I thought "architecture" meant chip type, and indeed, in the table
> below this quote there is listed a colunn "Ubuntu Designation" with
> the entries (i386, m68k, alpha, sparc, arm, powerpc, hppa, ia64, mips,
> mipsel, s390).
>
> I'm not a real hardware savvy guy, but is this correct, and Ubuntu is
> supported on all of these archs?

This documentation is carried over from Debian, and I'd evidently missed
out on updating this particular bit for Ubuntu's three supported
architectures. Thanks for bringing this to my attention; it will be
fixed in the next Ubuntu debian-installer upload.

The best place to raise issues in the installation manual in future is
in Bugzilla, against the 'debian-installer-manual' component.

Thanks,