suspend to disk, kernel

Nils elitepenguin at gmx.net
Wed Sep 21 01:50:19 CDT 2005

> Matt Zimmerman
><mdz at ubuntu.com> to ubuntu-devel
>	 More options	  12:20 am (8 hours ago)
>On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 11:20:50PM +0200, Nils wrote:
> On 9/20/05, Matt Zimmerman <mdz at ubuntu.com> wrote:
> > You shouldn't need the resume= option.  Did you try it first without that?
>
> I tried now and it does not. I don't understand why it's supposed to
> work w/o this, cos where should the kernel know that it can resume
> from the swap partition.

>It's configured during installation in /etc/mkinitramfs/initramfs.conf.

This makes things clear. I forgot to tell ubuntu which is my swap
parition during the installation, so it's clear that it did not work
w/o kernel paramenters.

After suspend and resume, my firewire harddrive does not work anymore
(no reaction in dmesg when turning it on and of). People told me this
is because the fw drivers doesn't support suspending. However I
couln't remove the modules and load them again. So my question here:
Is there a chance to get firewire working with suspend to disk?

I would also like to know how the ubuntu kernels are built. Is there a
good howto documentation? I know make-kpkg, but nothing about how the
initrd image is built, which patches are used, etc