Fade to black in xscreensaver and Gnome

Paul Sladen ubuntu at paul.sladen.org
Tue Sep 20 22:53:46 CDT 2005

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005, Lukas Sabota wrote:
> I am having two different fade effects between xscreensaver and GNOME
> logout.  In xscreensaver, the screen smoothly fades to black.  When I
> logout with GNOME, my screen harshly changes though different shades

The full-screen fade for the screensaver transition twiddles the gamma
settings on hardware that has the facility.

The GNOME fade-out, it has to composite each pixel.  It could probably be
massively improved by interlacing the fade-steps which would give 2-3 times
the apparent frame rate.

The other solution is to make it a feature, and an effect.  For instance
starting from the outside and turning to pixels to grayscale working as the
effects works towards the centre in a circular or square pattern.

	-Paul
--
The summer is familiar here.  Edinburgh, GB