mouse problems

Scott James Remnant scott at ubuntu.com
Mon Sep 19 09:37:50 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-09-16 at 21:21 +0200, Carsten wrote:

> on my laptop I have a synaptics touchpad and usually a usb mouse. After
> upgrading from hoary to breezy, X wouldn't start any more because it
> could not find any mouse. I figured out that this happened because it
> tried to use the device /dev/input/mice for the mouse named "Configured
> Mouse". This device file didn't exist any more.

As mdz has noted, this is a known bug in breezy; but we don't know yet
what's causing it.  Any help you could provide in debugging it would be
grateful, in particular could you answer the following questions.

Does the device appear if you boot _without_ your USB mouse plugged in?

Did you install hoary fresh, or was that an upgrade from warty
originally?

Are you using the stock breezy kernel and modules?

Scott
--
Scott James Remnant
scott at ubuntu.com