networking "restart" drops eth0 :(

Daniel Robitaille robitaille at ubuntu.com
Sun Sep 18 11:59:43 CDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-18-09 at 09:22 -0700, Karl Hegbloom wrote:
> On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 00:08 +1000, David wrote:
> >
> > Hoary Desktop puts  "auto eth0" in the interfaces file, but for some
> > reason Hoary Server does not. That's why I've never had a problem before,
> > but it's a curious distinction.
>
> The 'auto eth0' should be taken out for Breezy, especially if
> 'network-manager' is in use.  What I find is that if it's there and I
> boot my laptop while it's not jacked into a network, it hangs at
> "Configuring the Network" for a long time.
>
> It's annoying that the [ System --> Administration --> Networking ] tool
> does not play well with the 'network-manager' nm-applet tool.  I'm not
> sure how to fix it yet.  I'm also annoyed at having 'bind9' installed.
> I prefer to use 'dnsmasq' and 'resolvconf'.

Control-C is your friend to skip the long wait at boot time at the
network step :)

But it's true it's annoying.  I continuously switch between wired and
wireless network with my laptop, and as such both eth0 and eth1 are
active on my laptop.  And every single reboot get stuck for a long while
at the "Configuring the Network".  I have Network-manager installed, and
it's a neat application, but doesn't solve this problem, at least in my
current configuration.

--
Daniel Robitaille
  Email: robitaille at ubuntu.com   Jabber: robitaille at jabberme.org