networking "restart" drops eth0 :(

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Sun Sep 18 11:22:52 CDT 2005

On Mon, 2005-09-19 at 00:08 +1000, David wrote:

> Hoary Desktop puts  "auto eth0" in the interfaces file, but for some
> reason Hoary Server does not. That's why I've never had a problem before,
> but it's a curious distinction.

The 'auto eth0' should be taken out for Breezy, especially if
'network-manager' is in use.  What I find is that if it's there and I
boot my laptop while it's not jacked into a network, it hangs at
"Configuring the Network" for a long time.

It's annoying that the [ System --> Administration --> Networking ] tool
does not play well with the 'network-manager' nm-applet tool.  I'm not
sure how to fix it yet.  I'm also annoyed at having 'bind9' installed.
I prefer to use 'dnsmasq' and 'resolvconf'.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>